Helix 9 question

All things Helix!!
k3mcfarland

Helix 9 question

Post by k3mcfarland » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:43 am

I have the minnkota i-pilot with universal sonar 2 transducer built into it. If I was to buy a helix 9 with sonar and down imaging, would that transducer be capable of doing both or would it strictly do just the sonar? And if it would only do sonar, is that a good enough transducer for the helix 9 or would I be better off hoseclamping the supplied transducer to trolling motor? This is for the front of boat only. Thanks!

Wayne P.

Re: Helix 9 question

Post by Wayne P. » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:11 pm

The US2 is 2D sonar ONLY.

If you want Down Imaging, a Down Imaging transducer has to be used.

If you are only going to use 2D sonar you are wasting your money purchasing a Helix 9 DI GPS.

For trolling motor use, do not adapt the transom DI transducer. Use the proper transducer for the application.
The Helix 9 DI GPS has 83/200 kHz capability so the proper trolling motor PUCK is the XTM 9 WIDE DI 20 T.

The trolling motor PUCKS have extra internal shielding that the transom transducer does not have. The shielding helps with possible RFI from the trolling motor.

Bottom line is, use the correct parts for the application.
Wayne Purdum
Charlottesville, Va.

nihsif

Post by nihsif » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:29 am

Wayne, do you know if you can choose which transducer you can get with when you buy a new Helix? or can it be ordered without a transducer, and then just by the TM transducer seperately....

I seem to recall being offered to trade the transducer that came with my original 898csi combo for a TM mount...but not positive

Wayne P.

Post by Wayne P. » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:51 pm

No you cannot choose what transducer comes with a unit and so far there are no CHO units in the Helix series.

CHO means no transducer included. I think that was discontinued with the XX9 series.

Yes, Humminbird has a transducer exchange program, contact Customer Service when you get the unit and arrange for the exchange. There may or may not be a cost difference depending on the transducer model.
Do not open the transducer mount package.
Wayne Purdum
Charlottesville, Va.

nihsif

Post by nihsif » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:26 pm

Thank you very much!