958c Too Dim in Bright Sunlight

1100, 900, 800 and 700 series Units without Side Imaging
headlayoutman1

958c Too Dim in Bright Sunlight

Post by headlayoutman1 » Sat May 17, 2014 9:58 pm

I recently updated the software to 6.810 on my 958c and installed I pilot link via the Ethernet port , everything tested out great and worked great with the boat in the garage .
When I got the boat outside in bright sunlight the screen display was very dim and hard to see . I checked the backlight setting and it was on the highest setting (10) I rechecked everything several times without improvement . So I decided to send the unit in for repair , I also noted that there was a second problem : the far right card slot would not take a memory card , not really a big problem , cause the left slot worked fine .

I received my 958c back today and the invoice Tech comments : card reader repaired , No issues found with display , Brightness of this unit is normal . Total amount charged including shipping = $289.45
I went immediately and tried it on my boat today both in the garage and outside in the bright sunlight . The brightness setting is on the highest (10) . While viewing inside the garage brightness is OK , but when the boat is outdoors under the bright sunlight sky the screen is too dim and very hard to read , almost useless on sunny days . This unit always worked well before this season , I never had trouble with seeing the screen in bright sun .
I know for a fact that the brightness setting feature is not increasing brightness after setting 7 . Settings 8 , 9, & 10 do not increase the level of brightness above the 7 level . I know that testing this unit indoors under artificial lighting or in moderate to low level daylight is deceiving and would lead someone to think it is working properly because you can see it fine indoors in artificial light.
I mounted the 958c next to my 998 to compare the brightness , took the boat out into the bright sun , and set both units on the same exact chart view , and set both to a brightness setting of 10 . There is a huge difference in the brightness , The 998 is very bright and easy to see and the 958c is dim and barley useable . I have also taken digital photos of this comparison that I can email to you if you want to compare them.
I really considered the brightness issue the primary fault with this unit , as I could have gotten by with one card slot . If the brightness cannot be repaired , I certainly would not want to pay almost $300.00 to fix a card slot on a unit that I can't see the view on sunny days .
Please let me know why the brightness level will not increase after setting 7 . I tested it several times in darkness & sunlight & settings 8 , 9, & 10 are not any brighter than 7 . This cant be normal /

ANY HELP Would be Appreciated

Wayne P.

Re: 958c Too Dim in Bright Sunlight

Post by Wayne P. » Sun May 18, 2014 6:29 pm

The 958c has CCFL backlighting
The 958c HD has LED backlighting which is brighter and why there is that model.

Your 998 must be the 998c HD SI which has LED backlighting and why there is that model that replaced the 998c SI which has CCFL backlighting.

It is what it is and the display won't be changed to a LED type. The newer models did that.
Last edited by Wayne P. on Mon May 19, 2014 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wayne Purdum
Charlottesville, Va.

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Mon May 19, 2014 9:19 am

Make sure it is not the electrical connections where your 958c unit is by swapping it with your 998c Si unit and testing both again outside.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com
I help because I can

headlayoutman1

Post by headlayoutman1 » Mon May 19, 2014 2:34 pm

I will try that Greg , But don't you think the brightness should increase past level 7 , levels 8 , 9 , & 10 are the same brightness as level 7 ,no change in intensity on the last 4 levels .

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Mon May 19, 2014 3:21 pm

I do think that it should continue to get brighter but the problem is either in the power coming into the unit or in the unit itself. Your 998c Si unit is not showing this problem so we know that it does not have a power input problem, so the 958c should work okay on that power connection (unless the problem is in the 958c unit).
I help because I can

headlayoutman1

Post by headlayoutman1 » Mon May 19, 2014 3:48 pm

No problems with power , swapped it with the 998 connections , same problem . Do you think the Humminbird tech just may have overlooked the brightness problem , because it looks pretty good when tested indoors under artificial lighting .

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Tue May 20, 2014 9:22 am

That could be headlayoutman1.
I help because I can

headlayoutman1

Post by headlayoutman1 » Tue May 20, 2014 10:08 am

Is there any specific person at Humminbird repair I should talk to and explain the problem to , before I ship it back to them ?
I thought I did a decent job of describing the problem(s) in writing when I sent it the first time . I just want to keep from spinning my wheels on this . Thanks Greg

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Wed May 21, 2014 10:43 am

No there is not headlayoutman1 but I would print out and include at least one picture from those you sent me, along with your unit. Call the Humminbird Customer Resource folks before shipping back as well, so they have it all electronically recorded too.
I help because I can

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Wed May 21, 2014 2:58 pm

headlayputman1,
Our CRC folks asked me to take another look at the pictures you sent me… :shock:
That 998 unit is a 998c HD Si model which has the brighter LED type backlighting in it. The 958c unit you have has the older CCFL type backlighting in it. It will not get as bright as the 998 will with its LED backlighting – sorry for my confusion with this. :oops:
I help because I can