Who is using the X 9 20 Ice ducer with DI units?

1100, 900, 800 and 700 series Units without Side Imaging
ruger2506

Who is using the X 9 20 Ice ducer with DI units?

Post by ruger2506 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:34 pm

I know what HB says. But I still don't get why you can't set your DI unit to 200 kHz and use the x 9 20 Ice Ducer in the narrow cone angle (200 kHz mode). I know guys are using the x 9 20 Ice Ducer with their DI units. I would like to hear real world accounts. Thanks.
"To the sportsman who appreciates wildlife and the outdoor experience, a trophy is judged by so much more than inches and mathematics."

ruger2506

Re: Who is using the X 9 20 Ice ducer with DI units?

Post by ruger2506 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:24 pm

The issue with the DI units and non-DI ducers has always been that the DI units are programmed to determine digital depth from the ultra narrow 455 kHz down beam. Without a DI ducer in place, the units would sometimes have electronic issues.

As I understand it, the most recent software patch for these units allowed the user to select either an ice transducer or a dual beam transducer under the transducer select mode. I *think* this mode on a DI unit simply powers the 200 kHz cone of the dual beam ice ducer, but enables the unit to determine digital depth from 200 kHz. Both of those should make the DI compatible with the XI 9 20 ice ducer.
"To the sportsman who appreciates wildlife and the outdoor experience, a trophy is judged by so much more than inches and mathematics."

Humminbird_Greg

Re: Who is using the X 9 20 Ice ducer with DI units?

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:36 pm

Not quite ruger2506.
First, the unit has to be running software version 6.250 or higher. This is so the unit will have the Digital Depth Source menu added under the Sonar menu tab. This menu needs to be changed to the “2D Element” setting. However, the unit also has to be running in the “Advanced” User Mode menu setting (this menu is under the Setup menu tab) or the new menu will not be shown. When these menu changes are made, the unit will be able to use either our standard DualBeam transducer (like the XP-9-20 or XTM-9-20) or the XI-9-20 Ice Ducer.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com
I help because I can