Sorry for the delay and thanks for the response. It seems as though I have solved the problem.
I have a 958 mounted in the bow panel and a 998SI mounted in the dash. Covers for units that are mounte this way cannot "snap" to the units so I put velcro on the unit/cover. Upon removing the cover, I inadvertantly pulled the "face panel" off. When snapping it back on, two of the buttons were caught on the face causing them to be activated.
Work the activated buttons free from the cover
Sometimes we do bone head things and if we cut some of the trees down we can now see the forest.
Again, thanks for your response!