Need Advice - 587 or 597 ??

1100, 900, 800 and 700 series Units without Side Imaging
bobbyb

Need Advice - 587 or 597 ??

Post by bobbyb » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:39 am

Hi Everyone, I'm New to the Forum.

I have looked hard at 2 Bird models: 587ci HD DI and the 597ci HD DI

I see the only difference is the screen size between the 2 units - The 587 is 4 1/2 inches, whereas the 597 is 5 inches - Is this correct or am I missing something (?).

I am looking at both units for not only boating/fishing - but also using one of these units on the Ice.
I'm aware - the DI will not work when ice fishing - what concerns me is Temperature. Will either stand up to extreme weather - i.e. -10 to -15F

I will buy the ice ducer thats available for either unit. I plan on using an Aluminum Tramson Kit - Transducer Holder - to secure the transducer when ice fishing. It worked great on my old Eagle.....lol - Does anyone see any problem (s) with this setup (?).

Finally, there is a major diff in the retail price - almost $150.00 spread between the 2 - another major consideration.

I would appreciate any input from any members that have used either unit for what I want to do. The sale starts this coming Saturday and I want to make up my mind.
My wife already has....... :(

bobby

ps: To the Admin and members - Great Site!! Thanks for making this possible to newbie's like myself.
"is there anybody alive out there"
The Boss, Bruce Springsteen

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:43 pm

Bobby,
The difference is more than just the size of the display, it is also in the pixel count for both displays. The 597ci HD DI has 640 X 640 display versus the 640 X 480 display of the 587ci HD DI model.

These units are no different than our other products that have been used for ice fishing, so I don’t think that you would have problems using either of them for this.

For Ice Fishing: there is no Ice Transducer for the DI model units. There is an Ice transducer that can be used with them but you would still have to use the standard DI transducer plus an AS-Si-DB-Y splitter cable along with it. If your transducer holder rig will be used with one of the standard transom mount DI transducers (XNT-9-DI-T), than that will work.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com
I help because I can

bobbyb

Post by bobbyb » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:34 pm

Humminbird_Greg wrote:Bobby,
The difference is more than just the size of the display, it is also in the pixel count for both displays. The 597ci HD DI has 640 X 640 display versus the 640 X 480 display of the 587ci HD DI model.

These units are no different than our other products that have been used for ice fishing, so I don’t think that you would have problems using either of them for this.

For Ice Fishing: there is no Ice Transducer for the DI model units. There is an Ice transducer that can be used with them but you would still have to use the standard DI transducer plus an AS-Si-DB-Y splitter cable along with it. If your transducer holder rig will be used with one of the standard transom mount DI transducers (XNT-9-DI-T), than that will work.
Thank you for responding Greg - much appreciated!

These old eyes - I see it now - the difference in the pixel count.......duh (Thks)

597ci HD Combo - When I talked to the Sales rep, he said all I needed was the Ice Ducer - XI 9 20 - I read the online manual - (page 6) and I assumed all I needed to do was change up the Ducer - I'm only looking to use the Graph and Flasher Ice Mode On.
So can I get away with just purchasing the XI 9 20 (?)

For the spring, summer and fall, the original ducer that comes with the Unit would be fixed mounted on the boat - non removable.

Apologies for being a bug - just want to get this purchase right. Thanks for taking the time,

bobby

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:10 am

From what I have been told and read; you have to use the Ice Transducer in combination with the AS-Si-DB-Y cable and a standard DI transducer. This is so that the transmitter/receiver for the DI sonar is not in an ‘unloaded’ state which could cause it to fail.
I help because I can

bobbyb

Post by bobbyb » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:45 am

Understand now Greg.

I'll go with the splitter - why encourage a problem.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question (s) - I'm aware your busy, and really do appreciate your time.

bobby

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:22 pm

Maybe it is because I have never ice fished; but why wouldn’t you just use the standard DI transducer? It will be able to provide the 2D sonar that is used for the flasher and ice fishing mode and you won’t have the added expense of the AS-Si-DB-Y cable plus the ice transducer. In addition you won’t have to deal with two transducers while fishing.
I help because I can