AS SIDB Y for a 596 DI unit?

1100, 900, 800 and 700 series Units without Side Imaging
willbchap

AS SIDB Y for a 596 DI unit?

Post by willbchap » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:18 am

For the gurus,

Will the AS SIDB Y work to split the 2D signal from the XNT 9 DI T going to a 596C HD DI allowing me to add a XAP 9 20? Everywhere I look, it mentions separating the SI and 2D, but nothing about DI and 2D units. It looks like the cable simply moves two pins from the SI transducer to a 2D transducer, but figured I'd ask first.

Secondly, assuming the Y-cable will work for my setup, has anyone tried installing a double-pole, double-throw switch into the feeds of the Y-cable to essentially switch the 2D signal from the shoot-thru and the SI/DI unit and back? That would be essentially what the TS3 does, but this would always keep the temperature and SI/DI on the transom mounted unit, and would be a hell of a lot less expensive (even buying a weather proof switch).

Will

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:45 pm

Yes the AS-Si-DB-Y cable will split the 2D signal from the Si (or in your case DI) sonar signals, but the XAP-9-20 transducer will not work correctly with the DI units. It was designed for the 200kHz and 83kHz 2D sonar where the 596c HD DI unit uses the 200kHz and 455kHz sonar frequencies for its 2D sonar. The only 200/455kHz 2D sonar transducers that we make are those made for the DI units. It is not advisable that you use AS-Si-DB-Y cable to do this as with an incorrect connection you could cause internal damage to your 596c HD DI unit.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com
I help because I can

willbchap

Post by willbchap » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:35 pm

Greg,

Thank you for your reply. Let me give you more detail to my situation and see what you recommend.

I have the DI transducer currently transom mounted. Over the course of a year, I have remounted and adjusted the transducer 6 or 7 times, only to find one acceptable mount configuration. Currently, I have the transducer mounted to match the 20 degree angle of the hull (which the folks in service tell me is incorrect), and aligning the seam with the bottom edge of the hull. I get the best on plane reading from this configuration, but I often still lose reading in choppy or otherwise rough water. I am also obviously reading the bottom 20 degrees to Starboard of the boat. The last issue would be the same if I mounted the transducer to shoot through the hull, not to mention, also the inherent signal loss.

If I mounted the DI transducer in the hull, how do I overcome the angle issue? I understand the loss of sensitivity in the 2D range is not perceivable, but what about the DI image? The boat had a HB from 1993 shooting thru-hull previously, and was actually working just fine when I removed it, so I know a shoot through transducer will work. Are there any aftermarket alternatives to using the DI as an in hull mount? Thank you for you help.

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:23 am

Will,
We don’t have any sort of angled DI transducer for inside-the-hull mounting so you would have to come up with something yourself. Perhaps you could make a mini transducer bath like the one shown below using PVC (just make sure that the transducer is pointed staright ahead as if mounted on the transom):

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com
I help because I can