788c Power and other Problems

1100, 900, 800 and 700 series Units without Side Imaging
deehawk

788c Power and other Problems

Post by deehawk » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:23 am

Going on my 3d summer with my 788c and really like the unit. The first year no real problems, but now I am having some annoying issues with it.

1. Depth flashes at random times and it seems to lose the bottom. Makes no difference if I am anchored or moving.

2. Transducer flips up when hitting a wave. It seems to be tight so not sure what else to do.

3. Power shuts off when hitting a wave. We aren't talking big waves here either. Normal chop will do it. I bent the prongs slightly on the power cord and so far has not helped. Also checked the connections on the fuse block and they are good.

4. When trolling plugs around 1.5-2 mph my GPS screen will start to turn complete circles and then go back to normal. Really cool trick!

Already tried some ideas from Humminbird on issue no.1 that did not help.

I happened to have a guy next to me this weekend in the Lake of the Woods campground that also had a 788c so I thought I would ask him about trying my unit with his transducer. He is also having the same issues I am having except for no.4. So no help there!

So much for "upgrading". Thank goodness for my old B&W Lowrance and Zercom units. They keep plugging along with no problems.

Thanks for reading.
Brian

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:28 am

Brian,
Problem #1 can have many causes. I don’t know what ideas you have tried from Humminbird but let’s see about these:
When this happens, is there another sonar unit on? If so, try turning it off and see if the problem clears up or not. If it does, you can try turning it back on and turn the Noise Filter menu on the 788c on or up to a higher setting.
Is there anything else running on the boat? If so, turn it off as this could be causing some sort of interference.
What water depth does this happen in?
What software version are you running on your 788c unit?
Which 788c model unit do you have? We have made a 788c, a 788ci, a 788ci HD and the 788ci HD DI model.
Try and find someone else that has a good working Humminbird unit so that they can test your unit on their boat. This does not have to be another 788c unit as most use the same 200kHz 2D sonar. This can be one of the Side Imaging units but not one of the newer DI model units.

For problem #2 you can either change the mounting hardware, install the third hold-down screw in the mount you have or relocate the transducer to an area with less water force against the transducer.

For problem #3 you may want to consider running a new set of wires all the way from the unit directly back to the cranking battery. 16 gauge multi-stranded copper wire, an in-line fuse holder, 3 Amp fuse and connectors to the battery itself will help ensure a good electrical supply for the unit. Use all new stuff as anything used is suspect and may not work. Solder and seal all electrical connections.

For problem #4 you can set the Chart Orientation menu to the North-Up setting. When moving slowly, the GPS cannot reliably determine the direction of the boat. So when on the Course-Up menu setting it will default back to pointing north when it cannot determine direction.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com
I help because I can

deehawk

Post by deehawk » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:24 am

Greg, I have the model 788c.

For #1 Humminbird had me do the following:

a. Set user mode to advance - did that
b. Set surface clutter to -9, water type to "salt" DEEP and Max Depth to +10 feet deeper than the deepest part of the lake I am boating on - did that.
c. check cables for nicks and cuts - did that.
d. update software -I am running software version 5.4. I see there is an update available. Can I install the update from 5.4 or is there one in-between I need to do first?

Cables are fine and nothing else was running.
Depth was between 15'-35'.

#2 We aren't talking a lot of water force here. I have 3 transducers (all with kick up brackets) on the mounting board and the 788c is the only one affected. I would not even consider the water rough and the transducer is kicking up. I'll try the third screw.

#3 My wires are fine and as I search the internet I see I am not the only one having the power shutting off problem when hitting a wave. I am going to pull the cable collector holder today and see if that is the problem.

#4 The GPS spinning is not a big deal. It's only done it twice. I just use my handheld Lowrance because it works at the slower trolling speeds.

Thanks for your help!
Brian

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:04 am

Brian,
When you install a software update you get the new stuff but also all of the older changes from previous software changes as well. So you do not have to load any software versions in between.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com
I help because I can