Dual HBird finder equipment and setup help...

1100, 900, 800 and 700 series Units without Side Imaging
rw99

Dual HBird finder equipment and setup help...

Post by rw99 » Mon May 03, 2010 3:40 pm

Hi, all...

I have a new 21' Glastron ski/fish boat arriving this week (yah, I'm pretty excited!), and I need to pick up the finders and associated parts for my install.

I want to mount a 788ci at the helm and connect it to a QuadraBeam transducer on the transom. I also want to mount a 778c at the bow, connected to the US2 transducer on my Minn Kota. From some reading and talking to HBird cust. service, I have this info:

1. I'll need to buy the QuadraBeam transducer separately (XNT 9QB 90T)
2. I'll need to get the US2 adapter (MKR US2 8)
3. I will also need to buy mounting hardware for each finder.
4. Both finders should be powered from the cranking/starting battery.
5. Interference could be a problem. Of course I want to operate both finders simultaneously.

Beyond this, what else will I need? Hints/tips/warnings? I'd like to move straight from the "install phase" to the "functioning correctly phase", bypassing the "troubleshooting phase" completely. Specifically, I need advice on how to install these to eliminate potential noise and interference.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Rich

rw99

Post by rw99 » Wed May 05, 2010 1:52 pm

OK, how about this:

When you buy a 778c or a 788ci, is everything you need to make the transducer and power connections included in the box?

Are the power leads long enough to run from a bow mount location to the batteries at the stern of a 21' boat?

And are the quick mounts supplied? I can't find info on "what's in the box" for these finders. Thanks for any info...

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Fri May 07, 2010 11:48 am

Rich,
I think you need to revise your ‘pick list’ a bit here:
1. Do not buy the QuadraBeam transducer. Trade one of the new DualBeam transducers that comes in with either the 788ci or 778c unit for the transducer you want (XNT-9-QB-90-T) by contacting the Humminbird Customer Resource folks and using our transducer trade-in program. You may also consider getting the inside-the-hull version instead for better high-speed depth readings (XP-9-QB-90-T).

2. Correct adapter – no changes here.

3. No need to buy mounting hardware for either unit unless your install needs something special – which you won’t know until you start… Your units will come packaged with: the control head, quick release unit mount and hardware, power cable and the transducer with mounting hardware.

4. Right and run a set of dedicated wires back to the cranking battery for each unit (I would use at least a 14 gauge multi-stranded copper wire for this) being sure to use a good quality blade type automotive fuse holder on each. Be sure to solder all electrical connections and than seal them against moisture as well. The power cables that come in the boxes are only 6 feet long.

5. Interference will always be a possibility both from the other unit running and from the trolling motor. There is no way to guarantee that you will or will not have either or both types. If you see sonar-to-sonar interference you can try turning on and up the Noise Filter menu setting on the unit that is showing the interference. If it’s trolling motor interference that you have than you need to contact the Humminbird Customer Resource folks.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com
I help because I can

rw99

Post by rw99 » Fri May 07, 2010 1:43 pm

Greg, thanks very much for your reply. I already pulled the trigger on buying a new Qbeam transducer, but maybe I'll do the upgrade anyway so that I have a spare! Or I suppose I could upgrade the HBird unit on my little aluminum boat...

I have the 778c for my front deck and the 788ci for the helm.

If I'm reading your response to point 4 correctly, you're saying that I should NOT use the supplied 6' power leads for these finders and instead I should run a well-insulated (shielded?) 12 or 14 gauge wire for each finder all the way back to the cranking battery terminals. Right? Should these power wires be kept apart from each other and away from the transducer wiring?

Tapping power from the dash is not a good idea? I could do this using the supplied 6' leads.

Thanks again,

Rich

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Tue May 11, 2010 11:29 am

Rich,
Use the supplied 6-foot power cables but also use some 12 or 14 gauge wire to connect these all the way back to the cranking battery. This will allow for a better power option than tapping into the boat’s existing electrical wiring.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com
I help because I can

rw99

Post by rw99 » Wed May 12, 2010 10:27 pm

Thanks again, Greg.